My name is Andre, at the moment I am 45 years “old”, living in Bavaria, Germany. I have two nice kids and a wonderful woman who is accepting more or less the things I do ;-).
I started my first electrical project in spring 2016 to build a 6/10kW Cromotr V2 into my self-designed cruiser bicycle.
I used an Kelly KHB14401 controller and Turnigy Heavy Duty lipo´s.
And then it came to the point to test this ev on 1/4 mile event
So I was very happy with this result! Not the best time and speed. But I think absolutely ok for this 70kg vehicle with big tires. So during this event, I found out that there will be a company who manufacture a 14/34kW hub motor. Therefore I got in contact and ordered one of the first hub motors, getting him in August 2016.
As you could see I already prepared my bicycle with an additional windshield and I also updated the battery box to get in 175VDC, 10Ah. But at least I destroyed the little Cromotor V2 on a little sports airplane field next to my hometown via 400A … Well, the manufacturer said 150A to 200A are ok but 400A …
And now I come more or less to the headline. I want to implement the new powerful hub motor to a new bicycle frame. I found a manufacturer who wants to help with this project. I checked out the frames he already did and create out of all of them my new frame design. This was already in spring 2016 a concipated for a manual drive, but easy to change to electrical drive!
So in August 2016, I got already my motor but not the frame :-(.
After 200 days of waiting, I changed back to plan B. I owned a gear defect GSX-R 1000 K2.
So I started to strip this bike and got it down from 191kg to 84kg.
Then I have to think about how to fix the hub motor with his 50mm axle to the GSX-R swing arm, measure the old position of the original wheel, made a sketch and let this adapter manufacture! At this point, I have to say that I like the style of drag racing motorcycle as you can see at my street legal motorcycle
As you can see after creating the new swingarm the GSXR-R 1000 K2 looks a little bit like my combustion bike
In spring 2017 I made my first cruising test drive by using KHB14601 controller
And then the problems began. At first 1/4 mile event, I lost complete power at 85 kph but got some nice pictures from the event
So I tried to find out what happened and changed the parameters of the controller. So at the next event in June 2017, I got my best test result with this 167kg motorcycle but in every run, I had problems with the controller. On the other hand, I knew a solution how to proceed with this issue by putting back the throttle switch for a short while and continue again with acceleration. I made 6 runs (best run: 14,468@157 kph)
I talked with Fany from Kelly controls and the problems seem to be the capacitors inside this old KHB model. I got a KLS14401 controller to check that this controller will work better than the old one and it did. So I reached without any problems 200,49 kph at the airport@ 740m distance.
But the acceleration is absolute to slow with only 400A! Therefore I ordered now Emsiso EmDrive 500 (500/800A, 125V DC). So I know that I will not reach the top speed again because it´s only working at 125 VDC and my motor is 1740 turns 144V motor so Kv=12,08. Well, I did this top speed run 175V DC. So I calculated before 241 kph no load with the 160/60-17 tire. But 200kph was the maximum, you see it at the table. This are the real load conditions.
So I made another run on 1/4 mile event and reach 172kph at 15,380 seconds.
At the moment I prepare the GSX-R again by changing the design a little bit via using some carbon parts to lower the weight because new Emsiso controller needs water cooling. And this is my actually status
I already did the AWG0 wiring and what you see above inside the picture is a carbon tank cover (self-made by a friend)
Story to be continued …